The Department of Chemical Engineering, with support from the National Science Foundation, will provide summer research experiences for undergraduates (REU) for 10-15 students each summer. We are looking for students like you to benefit from conducting research on a broad range of topics relevant to chemical engineering in a diverse and inclusive environment.
UF ChE REU Info Session and Webinar
Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2022
What will you do while here?
- Do exciting research on a broad range of topics relevant to chemical engineering.
- Participate in seminars/workshops led by UF ChE faculty to develop your research skills and build competency in knowledge of the chemical engineering field.
- Participate in professional development led by UF ChE faculty to increase your skills in the practice of chemical engineering research, such as learning about collaboration and team science, and social responsibility.
- Build strong professional bonds between other REU students and mentors.
- Improve your technical communication skills by presenting your work at planned events at the start and end of the 10-week program. You will receive feedback from peers and mentors in a safe environment.
- Participating in planned cultural activities will expose participants to beautiful North Central Florida and promote lifelong professional and personal relationships.
- Become part of networking and cultural activities organized through the Summer Undergraduate Research experience at the University of Florida (SURF) program, enriching their summer experience.
- Bioengineering and biomedical applications of chemical engineering
- Catalysis and reaction engineering
- Complex flows and interfacial phenomena
- Engineering education
- Nanoscale materials synthesis and engineering
All UF Chemical Engineering primary and affiliate faculty are eligible to serve as mentors. For more information on specific faculty research interests please visit our faculty page. Students will be assigned to a summer research mentor based on their application and projects available.
- Summer 2023 dates: May 27 to August 4, 2023
- 10 weeks of research under the supervision of UF Chemical Engineering faculty and a Ph.D. student mentor
- $6,000 stipend per student
- Housing, meal allowance and travel support for students who perform research on campus
- Structured professional development program delivered by Chemical Engineering faculty and Ph.D. students covering topics preparing students for success in undergraduate and graduate research, including laboratory safety, responsible conduct of research, record keeping, literature review, innovation and entrepreneurship, creating a personal brand, and communicating research
- Participation in professional development and cultural activities organized through the Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program (https://www.eng.ufl.edu/surf/)
- Students who are rising seniors can elect to participate in an 8-week GRE prep course, including pre- and post- course assessments organized by SURF
UF ChE REU Application Form Summer 2023
Thank you for your interest in the UF Chemical Engineering REU program. Please complete your application by January 3, 2023 for full consideration in our summer 2023 program.
Before beginning this application, please note the following:
- Only U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents will be considered for this program. International students are not eligible to participate at this time.
- At the end of this survey, you will be prompted to submit:
- CV or Resume (PDF format)
- Unofficial transcripts (PDF format)
- A statement describing your motivation for pursuing undergraduate research at the University of Florida and how this REU will help you in your career goals. Aim for around 250-500 words (12 pt font, single spaced, 1 page, PDF format).
- For inspiration and an idea about what UF ChE REU students do, check out previous UF ChE REU videos
- The name and email of at least 1 person who can be a reference for you (Max 2 people).
- References are people who can write letters of recommendation about your work experience, work habits, character, skills, and potential to be successful in this program.
- Make sure to ask for permission to list them as a reference. We will contact them to ask for the letter of reference.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering offers a Junior Preview program for prospective Engineering Ph.D. students on Nov. 3-5, 2022. The Junior Preview and SURF application is due by Sept. 23, 2022.
- Must be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be currently enrolled in a two-year or four-year college pursuing degrees in chemical engineering and related disciplines
- Students from underrepresented minority groups, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply
For more information, contact us at REU@che.ufl.edu
This program gratefully acknowledges support from the US National Science Foundation from grant EEC-1852111 and support from the Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program.