We develop fundamental knowledge and technologies to meet an increased demand for energy with minimal environmental impact. Examples of current focus areas include development of active and selective catalysts, advancing new strategies in membrane-based separations, and introduction of next-generation semiconductors for energy research.
Spyros SvoronosHarry and Bertha Bernstein Professor and Undergraduate Program Coordinator
BIOFUEL PRODUCTION FROM SALINE CYANOBACTERIA Although microalgae provide excellent means of capturing sunlight and atmospheric carbon dioxide, impediments to their widespread utilization are the inability to grow algae in a sustainable manner without large inputs of freshwater and nutrients—and to economically separate valuable products. Our research aims to establish a path for the economic production of a biofuel (methane) and an extracellular bioproduct. It utilizes a remarkable cyanobacterium that eliminates the need for fresh water inputs or external addition of nitrogenous nutrients and avoids expensive purification methods for product recovery. The project is in collaboration with Professor Pratap Pullammanappallil of the UF Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department and Professor Edward J. Phlips of the UF School of Forest Resources and Conservation.
Ph.D., 1981, University of Minnesota (1982)
Biological Wastewater Treatment
Awards & Distinctions
- Harry & Bertha Bernstein Professor of Chemical Engineering
- Effect of Protein Crude Extract on Oxic/Anoxic Diauxic Growth of a Nap-deficient Mutant of Paracoccus pantotrophus. Yin, J, Stevenson, W, Guo, Z, Koopman, B, Svoronos, SA. J Bioremediat Biodegrad 7:367, http://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/effect-of-protein-crude-extract-on-oxicanoxic-diauxic-growth-of-a-napdeficientmutant-of-paracoccus-pantotrophus-2155-6199-1000367.php?aid=79997 (2016)
- Modeling of continuous self-classifying spiral jet mills part 1: Model structure and validation using mill experiments. Starkey, D, Taylor, C, Morgan, N, Winston, K, Svoronos, S, Mecholsky ,J, Powers, K, Iacocca, R. AIChE J 60:4086-4095 (2014)
- Modeling of continuous self-classifying spiral jet mills part 2: Powder-dependent parameters from characterization experiments. Starkey, D, Taylor, C, Siddabathuni, ., Parikh, J, Svoronos, S, Mecholsky, J, Powers, K, Iacocca, R. AIChE J 60:4096–4103 (2014)
- The Effect of Z-Ligustilide on the Mobility of Human Glioblastoma T98G Cells. Yin, J, Wang, C, Mody, A, Bao, L, Hung, S-H, Svoronos, SA, Tseng Y. PLOS ONE | http://www.plosone.org, 8,1-7 (2013)