Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs about GRACE

What is GRACE?

GRACE is the Graduate Association of Chemical Engineers. We’re a group of Chemical Engineering Master’s and Ph.D. students who organize social, academic, and service events together. Our officers serve as liaisons between faculty and graduate students and put together most of the department-wide events graduate students attend.

How do I join GRACE?

All graduate Chemical Engineering students are members of GRACE. If you would like to become an officer, elections are held annually in the spring. There are no membership dues or fees.

How do I become a GRACE officer?

Elections for GRACE board positions take place in the Spring semester and each position is held from the summer to the following spring.

FAQs from Ph.D. Students

When do I do my proposal to become a Ph.D. Candidate?

Ph.D. proposals are typically done in the second semester of the second year of graduate school. The proposal involves a 15-page paper that highlights your work on your project and the future work you plan to do. In addition to the written document, a 20-30 minute presentation is required followed by questioning from your peers and your committee. A draft of your written document is due in February of the second semester of your second year.

When do I choose my committee?

You will need to choose your committee no later than in the spring of your first year before you submit your proposal. Two of your committee members, excluding your advisor, should be from within the department and familiar with your field. One of your committee members should be from an external department. Most students have three committee members, although students can have more, which is decided by the student and their advisor.

When do I complete Supervised Teaching requirements?

Supervised teaching is similar to working as a Teaching Assistant (TA); however, an ST is more hands-on during the development of the course and gains more experience with teaching and student interaction. Most Ph.D. students receive ST assignments in their third year after their proposals. All students are required to have two semesters of ST assignments.

Can I do an internship while pursuing a Ph.D.?

Several graduate students take a leave of absence as an employee of UF to do an internship every year. Your advisor must allow the leave of absence for an internship, so their availability varies from student to student.