Research Experiences for Undergraduates
The Department of Chemical Engineering, with support from the National Science Foundation, will provide summer research experiences for undergraduates (REU) for 10-12 students each summer. Participants will benefit from conducting research in a broad range of topics relevant to chemical engineering in a diverse and inclusive environment. Formal and informal education activities will train participants on what research is, how it is correctly and responsibly carried out, and how and why it is disseminated. UF Chemical Engineering faculty and Ph.D. students with a track record of training undergraduates to conduct research will guide participants through this intense summer research experience. Planned cultural activities will expose participants to beautiful North Central Florida and promote lifelong professional and personal relationships.
- Biomedical applications of chemical engineering
- Catalysis and Surface Science
- Complex flows and interfacial phenomena
- Nanomanufacturing and nanoscale engineering
All UF Chemical Engineering primary and affiliate faculty are eligible to serve as mentors. For more information on specific faculty research interests please visit our faculty page. Students will be assigned to a summer research mentor based on their application and projects available.
- Summer 2020 dates: May 23 to August 1, 2020
- 10 weeks of hands-on research under the supervision of UF Chemical Engineering faculty and a Ph.D. student mentor
- $5,000 stipend per student
- Free housing and allowances for meals and travel
- Structured professional development program delivered by Chemical Engineering faculty and Ph.D. students covering topics preparing students for success in undergraduate and graduate research, including laboratory safety, responsible conduct of research, record keeping, literature review, innovation and entrepreneurship, creating a personal brand, and communicating research
- Participation in professional development and cultural activities organized through the Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program (https://www.eng.ufl.edu/surf/)
- Students who are rising seniors can elect to participate in an 8-week GRE prep course, including pre- and post- course assessments organized by SURF
Applications are submitted online through the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Junior Preview and Summer Undergraduate Research in Florida website. Visit https://www.eng.ufl.edu/graduate/campus-visits/junior-preview/junior-preview-weekend-application/ for application instructions. Under “Faculty of Interest” indicate UF ChE REU.
- Must be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be currently enrolled in a two-year or four-year college pursuing degrees in chemical engineering and related disciplines
- Students from underrepresented minority groups, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply
For more information, contact us at REU@che.ufl.edu
This program gratefully acknowledges support from the US National Science Foundation from grant EEC-1852111 and support from the Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program.